Tuesday, December 10, 2013

In the Bleak Midwinter

In the bleak mid-winter Frosty wind made moan
Earth stood hard as iron,  Water like a stone;
 Snow had fallen, snow on snow, Snow on snow, 
 In the bleak mid-winter, Long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, Nor earth sustain; 
Heaven and earth shall flee away, When He comes to reign: 
In the bleak mid-winter,  A stable-place sufficed 
The Lord God Almighty,  Jesus Christ.


Angels and archangels,  May have gathered there, 
Cherubim and seraphim  Thronged the air, 
But only His mother  In her maiden bliss, 
 Worshipped the Beloved  with a kiss.

What can I give Him, Poor as I am? 
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb, 
 If I were a wise man  I would do my part, 
Yet what I can I give Him, Give my heart.


It's 15 days till Christmas! *La-lala-lala!* Which is basically just two weeks! *Gaaaah!* Just thinking about it makes me so happy! Hence the Christmas-y pictures and this song. :)

Anyway. In the Bleak Midwinter is one of my favorite Christmas songs and I was just in the mood to post something so here you go. Seriously, who doesn't like Julie Andrews voice? 



And I found this quote by Fulton J. Sheen and I think it's just beautiful. 

"Why is the human heart shaped as it is?
The human heart is not shaped like a valentine heart, perfect and regular in contour; it is slightly irregular in shape as if a small piece of it were missing out of its side. That missing part may very well symbolize a piece that a spear tore out of the Universal Heart of Humanity on the Cross, but it probably symbolizes something more. It may very well mean that when God created each human heart, He kept a small sample of it in heaven, and sent the rest of it into the world of time, where it would each day learn the lesson that it could never be really happy, that it could never be really wholly in love, that it could never be really whole-hearted until it rested with the Risen Christ in an eternal Easter, until it went back to the Timeless to recover the sample which God had kept for it from all eternity."

And with that profound thought, I leave you! 


God Bless!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment